Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Thursday, February 25, 2010

Falling behind

I have not been doing a very good job of writing for the past week. Part of the problem is that I have been stalling. I'm working on rewriting a mystery story, and I know I need to add a bit more misdirection into it--but since it's already pretty tightly knit, that's a massive undertaking. So I think about it for a while, and write a little and then allow myself to get distracted by something else. I'm hoping that making this confession to you will shame me into getting my butt in gear.


The other part of the problem is that I have been very distracted lately, by the prospect of trying to sell our house and buying a different one. We've done some preliminary talking with our realtor, I've done a lot of scrutinizing of school districts, and we will hopefully be moving forward soon (possibly soon enough to take advantage of the tax credits, while they still exist.)

And while that's a pretty good excuse----------it's still just an excuse. After all, once things get moving, I'll be distracted by packing up personal effects to stage our home to its best advantage. And then with keeping our house in decent shape for viewings despite the pint-sized tornado that lives here. And then with looking at potential homes to buy, and scrutinizing them from all angles. Then our house will sell and we'll purchase another one, and we'll be distracted by a move (a massive undertaking at any time, but even more so with a toddler--we are going to turn his little world upside down and he probably won't like it!) And since we might look at foreclosures and bank-owned properties, there might be some work to do. And then there's unpacking (it took us three months last time, and that was BEFORE we had a kid!) And by then it'll be the growing season and I might have to modify/add landscaping to the new house. And then... and then... and then.................

There will always be distractions. If I'm going to make any money at this, I have to be persistent, no matter where I am in my life. As my husband points out, even if I only write for 15 minutes each day, that's still something. If I write for each of the remaining days in February, I will have averaged about half of the days of the month. I'm hoping to do that, and in March I hope to be greater than 50%.

No one's going to make me do this but me. I must keep slogging through the slush!

No comments: