Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Writer's Dilemma - How would YOU do it?

After posting yesterday about my abysmal failure to resub my stories, I sat down today, determined to get at least one of them back out.  I chose a story, chose a market, and began the process of making sure I was following all of the editor's preferences in my submission.  When I got to modifying my cover letter, I paused.  For the last few months, my cover letter has stated that my fiction "will appear in 'A Glitch in the Continuum,'" but that statement is no longer true.  I spent a good deal of time trying to decide what's the best way to say that I was supposed to have another credit but the deal fell through.  I only have two credits so far, so each one counts!

(On that note, I've already heard from the editor of Glitch that another publisher is interested in taking the anthology, though at a reduced rate of pay.  There are no details yet as to what publisher or what the rate of pay would be, so I still don't know if it's a deal I'm willing to accept.  More on that when I know.)

At any rate, I wound up saying "I was supposed to appear in "A Glitch in the Continuum" as well, but the press ran out of money."  I'm still not sure if that's the best way to put it, but I really needed to get at least one submission done.

What do you all think?  How would you include something like this in your cover letters?

6 comments:

Ben Godby said...

I... would not do that. Their failure will rub off on you, subconsciously, to the reader of that sentence. I don't think it would bump you up the pile or anything. Just trust in your story!

Aaron Hughes said...

I have to agree -- I think it's best not to say anything about it in a cover letter. Just mention the Doomology appearance, which is one more publication than many submitters have, and keep the cover letter short and sweet. Anyway, what you say in the cover letter is much less important than what you say in the story!

Eileen Rhoadarmer said...

Hmm, I hadn't thought about it that way. Thanks guys!

S.A. Train said...

sup Eileen! You know, when I read submissions for a lit-mag, I never looked at the cover letter--not too closely. If I saw "Missouri Review" or something like that I might raise an eyebrow.

But, in the end the story had to win me over. I turned down a lot of writers who looked great on paper because their stories sucked.

I found I was more excited to see someone w/o any real credits turn in an awesome piece than I was seeing some hotshot turn in something mediocre.

But, that's me!

Charlie N. Holmberg said...

Yeah, I wouldn't say anything... unless the story is already purchased? Then list the anthology and skip the details.

Good luck :/

Eileen Rhoadarmer said...

Thanks everyone!