Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Friday, August 20, 2010

In Memoriam

I was saddened to learn the other day that an old classmate of mine, Michael Stewart Gorniak, took his life last year after struggling with depression.  I met him in Advanced Fiction Workshop at the University of Colorado at Denver, which was the best workshop class I ever took.  His writing was sometimes dark, sometimes disturbing, but always provocative.  While we were never close friends, he brought a unique perspective to the table and I'm glad that I met him.

This sort of thing always inspires musings about mortality, how fleeting life is, and the mark we leave upon the world.  In a way, this is one of my motivations for writing--to leave something of myself behind.  And because I like to write, and like to share thoughts with others.

Michael has a legacy other than our memories, because some of his close friends put together a book of his poetry posthumously.  Reading the introduction, and an article on his death, gave me more insight into his life, and I only wish I could have known him better.  Poets Never Die is available from Amazon.  Rest in Peace, Michael.

No comments: