Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

August Stat Check

During the month of August, I wrote on 19 of the days
I wrote four chapters of a novel, sorted through the critiuqes I got for Bleeders and The Weatherman, and rewrote Bleeders
I made 2 submissions
I received 3 rejections
I have 7 stories currently in slush pile circulation
I took between 5 and 7 days to resubmit a story after a rejection
I made 8 blog posts
Between writing, the blog, and Critters, I took 7 days off

Analysis
I felt like I was playing catch-up for a lot of this month.  This is probably due to the fact that I had let Critters slip away from me and had to do three critiques in one week (in three days, by the time I did them) in order to get The Weatherman out on time.  I also wanted to finish reading all the critiques from Bleeders before I started getting some for The Weatherman (something I'd been putting off) so there was a lot of sifting through critiques happening all at once.  I also started making plans for my son's second birthday party, so that ate away at some of my time.  I took a vacation too, so I had a few genuine days off.  I'd say this month was passable.  I didn't do as much writing as I wanted to, but I do need to sleep and eat, like all mortals.

My biggest goal for September is I'd like to get the bulk of my novel written.  I'm hoping to spend a lot of October doing research and outlining for another novel which I'll write for NaNoWriMo, and it would be nice not to have to think about two at a time.  My first two novels will be written with very different techniques:  the one I'm working on now I simply started and am letting it unfold as it wishes, and the one in November will be outlined and decided upon prior to setting pen to paper.  At the very least, I'll get an idea of which method works best for me.  I'll aim for 10 blog posts and some networking again.

Happy writing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I suspect I'm on the "discovery writing" side of the spectrum (to ignore all but the last 5 lines of your post).

I do have a rough outline in my head when I start the piece, and before I stop writing each day I at least know what the next scene or two will entail.

Anything to avoid 'blank paper' mind.