Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Momentum

I'm finding that the more days in a row that I write this novel, the more I want to write it.  It's not just a feeling of obligation or the sense that I don't want to break the streak (although I don't,) but I'm feeling more enthused about this project, I'm definitely more into the story, and writing it is more fun and exciting.  Even though I do the bulk of my writing in the evening, and even though I've been depriving myself of sleep lately (mostly to do more writing), taking a day off hasn't been much of a temptation.

It'll be interesting to see how long I can keep this streak up.  Will I one day be celebrating 100 days of solid writing?  1000?  The latter seems unlikely.  I'm very much in favor of vacations and taking time to recharge the batteries, although I have written on vacations in the past.  And it's quite a different thing when I feel like I'm obligated to work on a project and when I want to.

Some of my writer buddies have discussed Steven King's "On Writing" recently, and I think perhaps this is my opportunity to bring up one point in the book.  I only just read it a few months ago, and I remember his suggestion that people feel a natural inclination to do things that they're good at.  This also touches on discussions of whether being good at any art comes from natural talent or dedication and practice.  I'll leave that argument for other places, but my experience over the last few weeks argues that a natural inclination can be a result of dedication and practice.  I dedicated myself to writing daily to work on this book, and after several weeks (some of which were easier than others) I suddenly want to write daily to work on this book.  I don't just want to write daily in order to get a finished product, but because I'm thoroughly enjoying the process.

I'd like to believe that I'm decent at this craft, though I know I'm always learning, growing, and developing my talents--but this is new for me.  Never have I been so enthused about a project for so long.  On the other hand, it could only be because this is the first time I'm working on a novel.  My enthusiasm to write daily may wane when it's over.  Perhaps my enthusiasm was proportionately shorter before because I've only ever written short fiction?

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're enjoying yourself. Go with it. :) Novel writing is a roller coaster: when you're going down, it's damn scary but when you're flying fast around those curves, you've got to enjoy it. It's not always fast and easy. Appreicate it! And if you don't need that day off... don't risk it. ;D


I happen to believe being successful at writing requires some talent, a great deal more dedication and practice, and a ton more stubborness. so long as you're not willing to drop it during times of writng-trouble, then you'll get to where you want to be (in due time).

Anonymous said...

Glad you have the enthusiasm. It's a wonderful fuel.

Isn't one of King's writing tips to "have talent"? I thought that was less than helpful, ha.

Marina J. Lostetter said...

The writing “high” is wonderful, isn’t it? For me, the enthusiasm varies with each project. I have confidence you’ll find the feeling again if it wanes after your novel :-)