Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Thursday, August 2, 2012

July Stat Check

During the month of July, I wrote/edited on all 31 days
I edited my novel, working on chapters 11-14 (14 and 15 got condensed into one chapter), did some on-site research, and began making major decisions in preparation to start at the beginning again to make any necessary changes
I made 3 submissions
I received 6 rejections
I took between 4 and 8 days to get a story back out after a rejection (the ones that have made it back out already, anyway)
I have 12 stories in slush pile circulation (4 are waiting)
I made 8 blog posts
I took no days off

Analysis:
I was working through the novel at a pretty good clip, got to see Kennedy Space Center and the surrounding area firsthand, and then started figuring out what needs to change.  I knew I would need to make some changes after visiting Florida--some of them are in areas that I expected and purposefully left vague, but others were unexpected.  I'd never thought much about how different humid air feels from Colorado's dry air (even though I've been to Florida before)--but I have random comments about the nights cooling off that assumed the more drastic temperature change we get here without realizing that humid air holds onto its heat longer.  There are other little things like that, in addition to larger items.  I've slowed way down while orienting the necessary changes, but I still feel like I'm making good progress.  Soon I will start over at the beginning--I don't want to miss any other minor details--but I expect the first 14 chapters ought to go pretty fast since not much will need to change in them, and then I'll continue at the approximately-one-chapter-per-week pace of before.

No comments: