Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Saturday, March 2, 2013

February Stat Check


During the month of February, I wrote/edited on all 28 days
I edited all or part of six chapters from my novel, chapters 31 through 36
I made 0 submissions
I received 0 rejections
I have 12 stories ready for slush pile circulation, but only three or four of them are under review. (I still haven't taken the plunge to purchase a month of Duotrope and get those babies back out)
I made 6 blog posts
I took no days off

Analysis:
I'm in a really good groove with the novel right now.  My goal had been to finish revising chapter-by-chapter by the end of March, and it looks like I'm going to beat that.  As of today, I have only two chapters left to revise, so it looks like I'll probably have time for a full readthru by the end of March as well.  Oh, and I suppose I ought to actually name the thing too.  I can't keep calling it "novel."

After that I plan to find readers and work on other projects for a while.  I'd been thinking of working on short stories again for a bit, although the characters and bits of a plot for another novel just won't leave my head at the moment, so I may be working on another novel sooner than I'd planned.  If you can't get them to leave you alone, sometimes the best thing to do is just get it down on paper, so to speak.  We'll see.  It's still not a fully-fledged idea, but a few elements recently came to me that complement some other elements I'd been playing around with months ago.  Together, they may come together and form a complete story.  I guess only time will tell.  It's gonna involve people with superpowers! :)

My biggest goal for March--apart from completing the novel--is to get my stories all resubmitted.  I've been doing a really good job of using my time wisely during naptime/quiet time for the boys, and that's when I've been doing my writing/revising.  I'd been planning to use my evenings to keep up with blogging and resubmit stories, but for the most part I've been pretty worn out in the evenings and would rather do something more relaxing and fun.  (I've been potty training a 20-month-old, after all.)  I need to make sure I have time for relaxing and fun, but still balance them with the other things I need to get done.

How about you?  How was your February?

No comments: