Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Friday, April 5, 2013

March Stat Check


During the month of March, I wrote/edited on all 31 days
I spent half the month turning the final two chapters of my novel into one, and then read through the entire thing.  (Well, technically I got through the first 31 chapters in the last eleven days of March, and then took four more days of April to read the last six.  Holidays'll do that to you.)
I made 0 submissions
I received 0 rejections
I have 12 stories ready for slush pile circulation, but only three of them are under review
I made 4 blog posts
I took no days off

Analysis:
March was the final showdown for my novel.  I'd expected to finish it a little sooner, but hadn't anticipated the amount of work the last-two-chapters-that-were-destined-to-become-one would take to beat into submission.  But I did it.  Whew!  I'm pretty happy with my work here, and with the fact that I was only four days over my goal to finish by the end of March.

I'd been hoping to be a little more prolific with blogging this month, but I'm not too worried about that.  I don't want people to forget about me, but keeping up more frequently just isn't really in the cards right now.

April is going to be..... different.  I've been focusing on the novel for so long, it's going to be very weird to write/revise something else.  I've been having elements for another novel taking control of my imagination on a regular basis lately, but even so I think I'd like to pause novel-writing and get back into short stories for a while.  I have a handful that just need revisions--some light and some heavy--before being ready to be submitted, plus it would be good to write something new again.  I haven't written anything new in...well, probably a year.  Wow, it's hard to think about it like that, but it really has been that long.  Yikes!  Most likely, I'll start with some that need revisions, just to get back into a short story mindset.  I'm not sure how long I'll let short stories prevail before letting the next novel take its course--my goals have become very much fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants right now.  And that's good.  I need to explore a little.

April will be the month to get story submissions back under control.  Why?  Because Duotrope offered a free month as a NOT April Fool--so I bit.  I've got it for a month, the trial kicked me in the pants like nothing else has managed, and I intend to use it.  Which basically means I can say good-bye to sleep for the month of April.  Alas.  This will be good.

No comments: