Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Sunday, May 1, 2011

April Stat Check

During the month of April, I wrote on all 30 days!
I made some readability revisions to my Christmas story, made first or second revisions on three other stories, and wrote the first 25 pages of an animated screenplay with hubby
I made 1 submission
I received 1 rejection
It took me 17 days to resubmit a story after receiving a rejection (boo)
I submitted two stories to Critters
I critiqued 13 stories for Critters (and got an MPC!)
I received Critters critiques for one story, and am halfway through a week of getting them for a second story
I have 7 stories currently in slush pile circulation
I made 11 blog posts
I took no days off

Analysis
This was a pretty good month.  I occasionally felt that revisions took longer than they ought to have, and due to garden/yard and child obligations I didn't always get as early of a start as I would have liked, but I'm mostly satisfied with my progress.  The only thing is I need to not let myself wait so long when it comes to resubmissions--after all, nobody's going to buy a story that isn't submitted anywhere!  Of course, part of why I didn't get the story resubmitted (and why I didn't get as much writing/revising done as I would have liked, not to mention why I was sleep-deprived for much of April) was because I was frantically working on critiques.  I learned that I'm unlikely to work towards an MPC again unless I find myself under another major deadline (which the baby is providing this time.)  Otherwise it just isn't necessary, most of the time, to get stories critiqued that quickly.  Even if I get another backlog, I could most likely allow critiques to filter in while I work on a novel.

For May, my goal is to get another three (or more) stories into submission circulation.  I'm facing my final productive month before baby arrives, and I'd like to tie up as many story "loose ends" as I can before then.  I intend to give myself a maternity leave of sorts, though I may try to read and start revising my novel during that time, but after that I have no idea what will happen.  I want as much of my material out in the world as I can get before life dramatically changes again.

No comments: