Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Sunday, August 11, 2013

Red, White, and Blue

In early July, I decided that Zaxxon and I ought to do a craft.  I didn't have anything specific in mind, I just intended to go down to the office, grab whatever supplies struck our fancy, and do something free-form.  Zaxxon came down to help me gather stuff, and when I went to cut off a piece of paper from the roll, he wanted it longer.  And longer. When he finally said it was okay, its shape reminded me of a flag.  It being only a few days until Independence Day, I decided that a flag was a fantastic idea.

So I grabbed everything I could find that was red, white, or blue, and up we went with glue, a small flag to use as a model, and all sorts of odds and ends.

I drew up the basic outline and indicated which color items should go in which area.  Then Zaxxon took off, filling in the spaces.



He started to get a little bored after a while, particularly with the long pieces of string, so I participated a lot, too.  I also added all the stars.  There are exactly fifty, like there should be.



After this project, Zaxxon was inspired.  He asked for more papers (smaller this time, but still the right shape) and he drew a good dozen flags all on his own.



This is one of my favorites

Even Kal'El joined in a little.  We made him a flag full of red and blue handprints.

Zaxxon made so many flags, he papered his bed with them.  Our house was quite patriotic for the 4th!

Tot School

No comments: