This isn't intended as a crafty blog, but that doesn't mean I can't show off something I've made, does it? I actually had time to do a craft for the first time in a long while, so I'm happy about that. It was helpful that we had a blizzard yesterday, meaning I knew nobody would want to stop by and view our house, so I could afford to let my office get messy.
Before he was born, we painted a few patches of magnetic paint on my son's wall and door, which actually proved to be relatively disappointing. It isn't very strong at all, so the only magnets it can hold are the really thin ones, like the free ones you get with every phone book. The next time I paint a child's room (hopefully in the new house) I will use drywall compound to fill in the gaps in the texture before putting on the magnetic paint, and I will use something like eight coats. Hopefully the combination of a totally flat surface with a ton of the magnetic paint will result in a wall that actually holds magnets.
But anyway, on to my project. Since the walls aren't strong enough to hold traditional alphabet magnets, I decided I would make some of my own--recycling the free magnets from the phone books. My friend Sela has posted several times about projects she's made using a glue/sealer/finish called Mod Podge, so I decided to give it a try.