Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Research, Mad Research

I've reached a point in revising the novel that is requiring a lot of research.  Stuff that I could have done during the first draft, but didn't because I knew it would slow me significantly and I didn't want to lose my momentum.  Some of it is integral, and some of it is just to make the background or minor interactions be accurate.  The rank of a minor character in the military, for example, or the layout and ambiance of a location.  This is a major cause of slowdowns in my revising.  When I spend a large chunk of my writing time doing research, I don't progress very far in the manuscript.

I'm getting the opportunity to do some major, hands-on research very soon, though, and I'm uber excited.  I'll blog more when I get the chance, but I'll just say that I've been looking forward to this for a while.  It should be fun!

How about you?  Do you enjoy your research, or does it seem like a necessary evil?

No comments: