Welcome to the blog of science fiction author Eileen Rhoadarmer--where science fiction and Mommyhood collide!


Friday, April 1, 2011

March Stat Check

During the month of March, I wrote on all 31 days!
I spent 2/3 of the month rewriting an older story, made minor revisions on three of the newer stories I've written, and started revising a fourth
I made 3 submissions
I received 2 rejections
I declared one market dead and allowed the story sitting with them to move on
I got every story back out the day I received a rejection (that's a first for me!)
I reactivated my Critters account, submitted two stories to the queue, and made 1 critique
I have 7 stories currently in slush pile circulation
I made 13 blog posts
I took no days off

Analysis
March started slow, partly because we've been working feverishly on our house (see this post for details) and partly because I didn't know where the story would take me.  But once I finally figured it out, I was able to pick up the pace quite a bit.  My biggest achievement from March was the fact that I managed to get every story back out into the world the same day I received word that a market didn't want it--or in the case of one of them, the day I decided that I wasn't going to hear from the market.

In April I hope to do more revisions/rewrites, seriously figure out the submission process for my children's Christmas book, start writing an animated film script with hubby, and get a Most Productive Critter (MPC) credit for Critters.

Hubby and I have been outlining our script for the last month, so that ought to go relatively smoothly--we just have to figure out when we'll write, who will be the scribe, and whether we'll both be in the room for all writing or if we'll pass it back and forth.

I'd like to get an MPC because I'd really like to get a handful more stories into submission circulation before the baby arrives, but with a cycle of every 4 to 5 weeks on Critters, I'd only be able to get critiques for two before D-day.  My goal is to see whether I can do 10 critiques in a week (without stopping the daily writing) and if I can, perhaps I'll do it a few times.  That way I'll be able to get my stories back sooner (especially since some of them feel pretty close) and get my critique ratio high enough that I can ignore it for a little while and still get critiques back (which will allow me to let them trickle in after baby's arrival and help me jump back into my stories after my self-imposed maternity leave.)  The only question is, can I cram 10 critiques into my schedule?  We shall see.

No comments: